Sunday, May 22, 2011

E-mail

An e-mail from Laureen the garden leader at the Madison Square Unity Garden. Laureen bought a piece of land in her neighborhood to put a unity garden, then paid the city to install water on it . All to make her neighborhood a better place .
Awesome day in the garden. Planted the tomatoes, peppers, onions, beans, cucumbers and squash. Placed the signs. People stopping by and wanting to get involved -- one of them was Muhammad Shabazz, who said he helped with the seed starting and master gardening at Potawatomi?

Too cool. Having one of my volunteer times from 4 to 7 p.m. on Sundays (the other is Saturday 9 a.m. to noon), and starting tomorrow because people want to be there. A neighbor north of Madison, Valjean and her 12-year-old grandson, worked in a steady rain helping me to prep soil and plant.

She can see the garden from her house to the north -- which is exactly where I want more neighbors to come from, and remembered me giving her father veggies last year. Knows gardening from life in the country in Virginia, before life took a turn and she lost her house and 10-acre land.

That woman looked and sounded like the earth heals her soul. And here she was in the rain, teaching her grandson how to garden. Really good day.

I'm going to try and start taking some pictures -- my digital camera is really old and I don't use it much but I can try.



No comments:

Post a Comment